ACA header


The Aircrew Association Archive Trust dissolved as a charity on 30 June 2020.

Nevertheless, the ACA Archive at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington will endure and continues to welcome contributions.

The Archive exists to record memories and memorabilia of military aircrew and to make sure that key material is carefully preserved and available for research and display.

Please think carefully before discarding any relevant material and consider offering it to the Trust.

See the Trust page for details of how to make contact with the ACA Archivist, who will be delighted to assist.

RAF Winthorpe - information requested

Can anyone assist with the following research project for the Newark Air Museum?

The Newark Air Museum is seeking assistance about how its site in eastern Nottinghamshire looked before the airfield site of RAF Winthorpe was opened in September 1940.

Lancasters at RAF Winthorpe
RAF Winthorpe sick quarters 1945
RAF Winthorpe sick quarters personnel 1945

Whilst the museum has a range of photographs in its Archive that relate to its World War II use and the personnel who were based there; it does not have any photographs from before the airfield was built.

In addition to the pre-war era the museum is also keen to see any photographs, or to hear any recollections from when the airfield was being built.

Key dates in this phase of its history include: the laying of the concrete runways in February 1942; opening of the station Sick Quarters in November 1943; and major site work by the construction company, Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd in November 1944.

The museum is also interested in details of any gravel extraction work alongside the River Trent at Farndon near Newark-on-Trent. Gravel extracted from this location was used as aggregate for the concrete runways at RAF Winthorpe and several other local RAF airfields. These gravel workings later became the Farndon gravel pits and then the Farndon Marina.

When suitable material comes available it is hoped to include it in a series of interpretation display panels around the current 12.28 acre museum site, which will explain how this land off Drove Lane has been changed and developed.

Information can be sent to the museum via email at and regular updates about the progress of this research quest will be posted on the News & Information page of the museum website at

For those people who prefer to talk to someone they can call on 01636 707170 (answer-phone available for out of hours messages).

We hope that some fresh information will become available as a result of this appeal.